Tuesday, April 10, 2012

15 Bean Soup

This recipe could also be known as the "I-needed-a-way-to-use-up-my-Easter-ham" Soup.  As good as our Easter meal turned out, I didn't think I could do another meal of reheating the ham or ham sandwiches and I know that the kids were getting sick of ham too.  I didn't want to waste it so needed to get creative on how to use up what was left.   And, thanks to a tip from my mother-in-law about using the ham bone for a soup, came across this recipe. 


15 Bean Soup

Recipe adapted from www.allrecipes.com (The Best Bean and Ham Soup)

1 20-oz. package 15 bean mixture, soaked over night
1 ham bone
2 cups cubed ham
1 large onion, diced
5 carrots, sliced
1 14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes
4 c. vegetable stock
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
1 Tbsp. chili powder
4 bay leaves
1 tsp. ground pepper
1 Tbsp. dried parsley
3 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 c. chicken broth
1 tsp. salt

Instructions:

Put soaked beans in a large pot and fill with water to about 1 inch above beans.  Bring to a boil and simmer for 45 minutes.

Drain the beans.  Return to pot and add remaining ingredients.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to low and simmer covered for 4-5 hours, stirring occasionally.  If there isn't enough liquid, add additional chicken broth.  Serve with bread.

Husband Rating: 8 out of 10

Food for Thought: Soups are easy for freezer cooking.  For this one, I would just cook it through and then after it cools, put it in a freezer bag.  Double bag it before freezing.  To serve, simply thaw and reheat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment