Saturday, July 28, 2012

Baked Spaghetti

I've never made baked spaghetti before but decided to try it because a friend requested it.  I made the recipe straight from Food Networks website as it was written.  But, Paula Deen, I am sorry because I spent the meal imagining the ways I will modify your recipe if I make it again.  That being said, the kids ate it up like it was their last meal.  So, although it wasn't to my personal taste preferences, they LOVED it. 

*For those who are interested, I will put my thoughts on adaptations in the Food for Thought section but the recipe is posted as I cooked it and as it was written on Food Networks website. 



Baked Spaghetti

2 cans diced tomatoes
2 c. tomato sauce
1 c. water
1/2 c. diced green pepper
1/2 c. diced onion
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/4 c. fresh parsley, chopped
1 1/2 tsp. Italian Seasoning
1 1/2 tsp. House Seasoning (recipe below)
1 1/2 tsp. seasoning salt
1 1/2 tsp .sugar
2 small bay leaves
1 1/2 lb. ground beef
8 ounces uncooked angle hair pasta
1 c. grated cheddar
1 c. grated Monterrey jack

Instructions:

In a large stock pot, combine tomatoes through next 11 ingredients (bay leaves).  Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat, cover and simmer 1 hour.

Meanwhile, in a skillet, brown ground beef until cooked through.  Add to tomato sauce and cook additional 20 minutes.

Cook the pasta according to package directions.

In a 9x13 casserole dish, scoop a layer of sauce.  Add a layer of 1/2 the noodles and a little less than 1/2 of the cheese.  Repeat the layers and finish the top with sauce.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes uncovered.  Remove from the oven, add the rest of the cheese to the top and bake an additional 5 minutes until cheese is melted.

Allow to sit for 5 minutes before cutting into squares and serving. 

Husband Rating: He was out of town and didn't try it...

Food for Thought: So, I thought of a few different things I would maybe try in this recipe next time I make it.  I am not sure if I would try them all or just a few but here is the list:  chopped spinach and finely chopped carrots in the sauce, Italian sausage instead of beef, adding some pepperoni cut into chunks to the sauce, mozzarella cheese (because doesn't mozzarella make everything good), more garlic to the sauce, and finally, perhaps some fresh herbs like basil and oregano.  Let me know what you try!

No comments:

Post a Comment