Saturday, July 28, 2012

Ginger-Scented Corn and Asparagus Stir Fry

Tonight was a lesson in double checking things I assume I have in my pantry... as I was in the middle of cooking, I realized I didn't have as much rice vinegar as I thought.  After a quick google search, I was able to determine that balsamic vinegar was the closest of the ones I had on hand.  (Most searches said white wine vinegar but of course I didn't have that either... both are on my next shopping list!)  But, I couldn't tell the difference in flavor and this was a good variation on stir fry.

Ginger-Scented Corn and Asparagus Stir Fry

Adapted from Cooking Light August 2011

4 Tbsp. cooking oil, divided
2 chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 c. corn kernels
1 Tbsp. grated fresh ginger
4 garlic cloves, minced
3/4 c. onion, sliced vertically
1 julienne-cut red bell pepper
6 oz. steamed asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces
1/4 c. vegetable broth
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
3 Tbsp. rice vinegar (or balsamic if you don't have rice)
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
1 c. uncooked brown rice
2 thinly sliced green onions.

Instructions:

Cook rice according to package directions.

In a large skillet or a wok, heat 2 Tbsp. cooking oil.  Add chicken and stir fry until chicken is cooked through (about 4-6 minutes).  Set aside.

Wipe pan clean with a paper towel and add remaining cooking oil.  Add corn, ginger, garlic, onions, and pepper.  Stir fry 5 minutes.  Add chicken, asparagus, broth, soy sauce, vinegar, and crushed red pepper.  Stir fry another 1-2 minutes until it is all hot.

Divide rice among 4 plates.  Spoon stir fry over rice and top with green onions.

Husband Rating:

Food for Thought:  This could easily be turned into a freezer recipe.  In one freezer bag, place cut up chicken.  In another, combine the corn, ginger, garlic, onions, and pepper.  In a third bag put the asparaguys, broth, soy sauce, vinegar, and crushed red pepper.  When you are ready to serve, thaw the chicken but keep the others frozen until you add them to the pan.  Adjust cooking time as needed.  I haven't tried this but this is how I would do it if I were freezer cooking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment