Thursday, August 16, 2012

Garlicky Greens with Tomatoes

My friend, Sarah, offered me some swiss chard and kale from her garden and I am glad I accepted!  I have never cooked with either before and was looking forward to seeing how our family would eat them, knowing how good for you they are.  I found a great recipe from one of my favorite blogs, www.101cookbooks.com and adapted it to our flavor preferences.  It turned out delicious!  Sarah (or any of my other friends with bountiful gardens), if you have more you are looking to get rid of, we will definitely take it! 



Garlicky Greens with Tomatoes

Recipe adapted from www.101cookbooks.com

1 large bunch of kale and/or swiss chard, stems removed
2 Tbsp. olive oil
sea salt
5 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 c. Parmesan cheese
1/2 c. cherry tomatoes, halved

Instructions:

Roughly chop the kale and swiss chard.

Heat olive oil in a skillet over high heat.  When hot, add salt (to taste) and greens.  The pan should hiss and spit a bit if it is hot enough.

Saute the greens for 2-3 minutes and then add the garlic and tomatoes.  Saute for another 1-2 minutes or until the greens are just wilted. 

Serve with Parmesan cheese on top.

Food for thought: After posting this recipe, my friend Katie gave me some swiss chard from her garden as well.  This time, I sauteed the swiss chard and tomatoes and then added 1/2 lb. whole wheat pasta to it.  It turned out delicious.  I highly recommend it! 

1 comment:

  1. Glad you liked it! I should plant more for a fall harvest! Sounds like a great recipe.

    ReplyDelete