Thursday, October 4, 2012

Julie's Super Sandwich

When I was in high school, I loved eating at my friend Ellen's house.  Not that my mom couldn't whip up a mean meatloaf or stir fry, but it seemed like I always got to try these unique gourmet meals at Ellen's house that her mom would come up with.  And the Super Sandwich (not sure if that is what she called it, but it's what I call it) is one of her such meals. 

And, now, it seems that I inevitably end up texting or emailing Ellen every few months asking her what her mom used to put on that great hot sandwich she used to make so that we can make it for a meal.  So, I am finally putting the recipe into print so I can make it for myself.  Thank you, Julie, for your great meals and cooking inspiration! 

(And, the picture just doesn't capture the truly yummy-ness of this meal.  Believe me!!!  I will try to get a better one next time!)

 

Julie's Super Sandwich

1 loaf focaccia bread (I couldn't find any so used a crusty garlic bread this time instead)
provolone cheese
red onion, thinly sliced
roast beef
large slice pepperoni
tomatoes, thinly sliced
Italian dressing
lettuce, optional

Slice focaccia loaf in half.  Spread 1-2 Tbsp. Italian dressing on each side of the bread.  Layer cheese, beef, pepperoni, onions, and tomatoes on the bread in the order of your choosing. 

Bake sandwich open faced in the oven at 375 degrees until hot and cheese is melting.

Remove from the oven and add lettuce if you desire.  Put the two halves of the sandwich together.  Slice and serve.  Yum! 

Husband Rating: 6 out of 10

Food for Thought: This is a great one for parties.  We have served this for one of our son's birthday parties, making up 2 or 3 of them ahead of time and baking them when the guests arrived and served with fruit, chips, side salad, etc.  It's a delicious hot sandwich and a nice easy way to serve a large crowd.

No comments:

Post a Comment